Taking Responsibility for a Positive Life
Personal responsibility and self-discipline are essential characteristics of people who live meaningful lives. By accepting responsibility for your life, you give meaning to your existence. Responsibility is empowering specifically in the sense that it motivates the individual to believe, ... if anything is going to be, then it is up to me. Blaming others is often an excuse to transfer accountability rather than take responsibility, thus comfortably avoiding liability
The Prophet (pbuh) said; “ Deal with people with the best of character.”
This demands of each one of us to realize that …
- if someone is rude, if someone is impatient, if someone is unkind; I will not respond in like manner.
- I will carefully choose and guard my words, being certain that I do not spread gossip, slander or malign anyone in any way.
- I will find ways to alleviate the burden of another and make life more pleasant.
- I will do my utmost to forgive any hurt or injuries that I may experience and treat others as I wish to be treated in every encounter.
- I will exert every effort to fulfill my personal and social obligations and to execute my moral responsibility.
All this, for I know that …
• whatever I do has consequences, and that the consequence of good is ultimately good
• I must carefully consider what I think, what I say, what I do; how I say what I say and why I do what I do …for all these determine who I am.
• my smile, my words, my expression of support, my touch, my care; can make the difference
• eventually, I’ll be held personably accountable for my life